Monday, July 23, 2012

There Are Other Blogs Than These

It's a good news/bad news type of day here at Ramblings Of A Honk Mahfah.
 
First, the bad news: I am bringing this blog to an end.
 
The good news...?  Well, I'm going to give you several moments to recover your composure, marked by a series of photos illustrating how my cats took the news.


Duncan Idaho wept silently

Action Jackson fainted

When he regained consciousness, Action Jackson consoled Duncan Idaho

Action Jackson tried bargaining, which didn't work

Action Jackson tried threatening, which also didn't work

Scarlett Johansson tried pleading

Juanita Sheridan staged an Occupy PC protest; (heh-heh, I use my laptop for blogging, dumbass!)

Don King only wanted to know what was for dinner

Boy, cats is stuipid.
 
The good news is this: I'm simply relocating to a new blog, under a new title.  It's called The Truth Inside The Lie.  Sounds like a conspiracy-theory site, but it's actually a reference to one of King's better bits of wisdom, which hails from the dedication page in It.  Paraphrased a bit, it reads "Fiction is the truth inside the lie."  That quotation has stuck with me for over twenty years now, and when I was mentally casting around for a title for the new version of my blog, that came to mind quickly.
 
Feel free to go check it out.  There's nothing there yet, but eventually, I'm going to import some of my posts from this blog (and from at least one other) over there, and in most respects it will be the same type thing as what I'm doing now.
 
So, you may be asking, why the change?
 
Here's the answer to that: I've gotten tired of the "Honk Mahfah" handle.  The reasons for that are not particularly complicated.  For one thing, I'm aware that for people who are not in the know in terms of what the phrase "honk mahfah" means and where it comes from, it just sounds silly.  As it turns out, there are positively tons of Stephen King fans who have no bloody idea what it means.
 
Secondly, I'm going to try and focus more on making people aware that the blog is written by Bryant Burnette, as opposed to someone named Honk Mahfah.  I've had a couple of people tell me that in reading -- or rereading -- The Drawing of the Three, when they've gotten to the section wherein Odetta is raving about that curious tribe called "honk mahfahs," they've thought of me, and a lightbulb clicked.  Now, on the one hand, I think that's pretty cool.  But on the other hand, I don't want ANYONE to read that novel and think of me while they're doing so.  In other words, I feel as if I co-opted -- if not flat-out stole -- a moniker from Stephen King and pasted it onto myself, and in retrospect, it seems like the wrong thing to have done.

Finally, I wanted to very marginally broaden the focus of the blog a bit.  I am frequently -- as you may have noticed -- tempted to write about things other than Stephen King books and movies.  In many of those instances, the subject has some sort of relation -- either definitive or, sometimes, mostly in my mind -- with King; other times, not so much.  Either way, I have been feeling lately that the stated focus of the blog needed to be ever-so-slightly redefined, so that when I felt the need to scratch that itch and write about something entirely unrelated to King, I could do so and not feel as though I were betraying my blog's thesis.
 
In case you were wondering, I have no immediate plans to do away with Ramblings Of A Honk Mahfah.  I may continue to publish here for a while, and even after I've fully relocated to The Truth Inside The Lie, I'll probably post links to my posts there on this page.  That way, people can keep up with me, if'n they've a mind to.

So, as you can see, it's mostly good news.  My cats are 4/5 convinced to the contrary, but they've got brains the size of small muffins; what do they know?  And anyways, until those furry little mobile-food-disposal units get jobs ad start bringing in some income around here, they don't get a vote.

See you guys soon, be it at the new place or the old one.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the new space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you name your cat after the mystery author? I'm doing a documentary about a woman I believe is one of the inspirations for Lily Wu and looking for Lily Wu fans. see http://findingkukan.com aloha, Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Negative. My cats were named for: (1) a character from the novel "Dune"; (2) noted hottie Scarlett Johansson; (3) John Sheridan, a character from "Babylon 5"; (4) a Carl Weathers movie; and (5) a boxing promoter with notoriously tall grey hair.

      Delete